Saturday, July 21, 2012

Spice Up Your Life!

So the Olympics are starting next week in London. Generally I watch the Opening Ceremony and a few events here and there depending on the sport, interest level and my availability. While I have never been to London its a place that I find very intriguing (I have a degree in History and love the Tudor's craziness) and would love to someday visit, I think that I am glad to not be going during this hectic time...although there is one thing I would love to see.

The Closing Ceremony!

If you haven't heard, the closing ceremony will have some of England's most popular musical artists performing. George Michael, The Who, Take That, Jessie J, and the SPICE GIRLS!!!!

I have to admit that while I was surprised that Elton John (who I saw in concert earlier this year), the Rolling Stones and Adele were not included in this list I was pumped about the "girl power" that the Spice Girls used to have.

Back when the Spice Girls were popular in the late 1990's I owned their CDs, watched the Spice World movie nearly endlessly (this was on VHS so you had to wait for re-wind), had posters on the wall and envied their style. Now 15 years later I still have the CD's and sing along to any song that pops up on the radio or my iPod; think that the movie is a bit cheesy - it did only get 3 out of 10 stars; and I have moved on to family pictures and art on my walls. But the 13 year old girl in me is screaming the lyrics to "Wannabe" and insisting that I try to find a pair of platform shoes.

I suppose as long as the 13 year old inside of me doesn't start singing "MmmBop" and asking for Hanson we are all good, after all I want to leave something left in the closet.


Olympics London 2012 Schedule of Events

Find the original article here:
http://olympics.yardbarker.com/blog/olympics/article/spice_girls_to_perform_at_closing_ceremony/11263972

No comments:

Post a Comment