Friday, March 4, 2011

Last Day

So tomorrow is my last day of work at grocery store where I am a cake decorator, and tonight is my last night at the restaurant where I wait on tables. I have been working crazy shifts at both places for seven months. I have met some awesome people and learned some new things, but I am ready to move on to something that I can grow with. Though I have not had a weekend fully off since maybe Christmas there are some things that I will miss at each place.

At the restaurant I work nights usually its just me and the chef during the week, on weekends there is another waitress and a dishwasher. We have enjoyed some interesting conversations and insights with one another. The customers are generally really nice and laid back, most could be in the restaurant's frequent flier program if they had such a thing. On Thursday evenings they also had a guitar player or two in house providing a nice backdrop.  Besides that the food and tips were pretty good. But like a lot of restaurants these days there can be a lot of inconsistency as far as how much business is done in a week.

At the grocery I work morning until lunch, on weekdays and weekends. There are several other girls/women who work in the same general area but I do probably 95% of the cake decorating and product ordering for the bakery, while they man the deli.  I help the deli when they are swamped and I am slow, because they are my friends and why not help them if I can. I generally enjoy the work that I do because I can be creative, though I always leave covered in icing and coloring.  We have some fun conversations, but there are a lot of serious things said as well. We give advice and help to each other when we are able.

So while I am glad to be moving on to something that works better for me on the time management, stability and pay, I am going to miss aspects of my current positions. I am sure that I will continue to go to other stores and pass their cake display and think, "I can do better" or tip a waitress really well because I can tell she is working her A off. But those aren't necessarily bad things right?

No comments:

Post a Comment