Thursday, March 3, 2011

Scouting

The trial run of an Eagle Scout cake... done freehand
So this past week I have had to decorate two cakes that are celebrating young men who were dedicated enough to receive their Eagle Scout awards. One of the ladies that I work with thought that the parents of these boys were crazy to make such a big deal over the accomplishment. That is until I told her how much time and hard work goes into earning the Eagle Scout award or the Gold Award (Girl Scout).

I was a registered Girl Scout for 10 years and occasionally still go to a week long day camp in the summer when I am able. Besides Girl Scouts I was also a Venture Crew member for 2 years. (Venture Crew is a co-ed branch of the Boy Scouts for 16-21 year olds, so technically I was a Boy Scout). 

While in scouting I did various service activities, went on trips I otherwise never would have gone on, had awesome experiences and a few painful ones too, and met a lot of great people. I still talk to many of the friends that I have made scouting. I earned my Silver Award (the 2nd highest award you can get as a Girl Scout) and finished my Gold Award (the highest award), unfortunately my council did not accept my project (though a friend in a different council did the same thing and received hers... so I nearly consider that I got it).

So to all those out there that are Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts I applaud the hard work that you do, envy the fun that you are having and buying the popcorn or cookies that you are selling (yum).

No comments:

Post a Comment